Sunday, March 17, 2013

Making the builds, the foals

Hello there, ponies of the night:

Spirit reporting progress here. Fiuu! it is been long since the last post, but we have progressed quite a tad.

Right now I am making fully functional foals for the final sequence of COTN. We had builds before, but they were meant for a completely different animation technique, so the process was really painful and mostly slow.

The new functional builds include a 10 point turn around (T.A)  of the character, for only a 180º rotation, so it is actually a 20 point T.A when you flip them.

As an extra challenge, we made them rotate smoothly, which I will show in a future post.  I took a Fluttershy T.A that goes around the net as reference, and from that, I started to make amends and improvements, such a fully functional mouths, hooves, eyebrows, hair, tails.. in short, every single body part.

While doing all this, I noticed a few bloopers in my initial character design, specially in Tingle. In the first pass I made him really messy, but the shapes kinda got out of hand, and it didn't read well as a character that is related to electricity. Taking example from how LF conducts her designs, I got the following result, which is a lot more clear and shape driven.










LEFT= BEFORE    RIGHT= AFTER



Some comments ont he design got me a bit worried about if these kids would or not blend well in the actual show.  After calibrating the importance of this matter, I decided to put each of them to a test over a background of Ponyville.

So far, here is the result for this little fella.


The first two foals, Spirit and Candlelight, took a very long time, mostly because I had to build from scratch, and let me tell you, a fully functional pony has a LOT of pieces.  Today I made two working at mid pace, so four foals down, 8 to go.

23 comments:

  1. seems like lots of work u,u i cant believe the ammount of care and love that is going into this, its impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only 8 more to go yeesh but Im sure all this hard work will be worth it in the end.
    I really love his new design especially that mane. Keep it up you guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not so bad. The first two are the hard part, the rest of them go diverted from the primary colt and filly builds.

      It too me a long time because if the minimal mistake would happen in the primary ones, it would have expanded to every foal, be it a problem of symbol junction or a mere naming convention blooper.

      Delete
  3. Even if the characters don't fit THAT well with the look of the canon show, some allowance can be given, considering that it's set at NIGHT, and set a thousand years ago in a different pony culture. It stands to reason that a slightly different look would reflect that.

    Great work, and I'm delighted to hear that you guys are that much closer to being done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear Celestia! A giant foal! Everypony, RUN!!

    :P

    (Try sticking him between RD and Scootaloo, and see how he looks then.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what? that is an excellent suggestion. I will do that this evening.

      Delete
  5. he looks GREAT in the pony ville! i cant wait to see the other ponies as they come along more!!! I am soo EXCITED to see the finshed prodject.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving this any chance your looking for any VA for the project or upcomings?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey,is me Plusline,I want join the project with my characters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry, but I don´t know who you are. I am afraid that the characters are already designed since quite some time.

      Delete
  8. Is this:http://pluslinetheplusle.deviantart.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, now it rings a bell. But I am sorry, I think there was a missunderstanding, we are not requesting OC's to include in our project.

      Delete
    2. oh ok!But is a fanart,no a sugestion

      Delete
    3. Gari (the real person) has been a friend of ours for years. So, as I surprise, I included her character in our project.

      Delete
  9. i can use moondancer in my moovie?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like his mane!

    But the colors..I'm not entirely sure about them. I know he's a boy so he'd need a darker color scheme, but maybe everything is just a little too dark..? or at the very least could use some tweeking :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is just an impression because of color relativity. Otherwise said, you see him very dark because he is either in a white canvas or in a very bright environment. But as a matter of fact, he is lighter than Thunderlane.

      Delete
  11. Sorry but what are Foals, are they like puppets since I don't know about this animation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fact that they are puppets doesn´t relate to the story but to the animation technique. In the show "My Little Pony, Friendship is Magic" puppets are used to achieve what is known as the cut out animation style. It is something technical that doesn´t relate to the script or the characters individualities.

      Delete
  12. This is too cute, This would be a great idea for a birthday party for my kids and have some stickers or fake tattoos like this.
    kids birthday parties nyc

    ReplyDelete