Sunday, March 24, 2013

Building the foals 2

Hello there Everypony!

Spirit reporting progress again. 

In the last post I talked a bit about he foals builds, and I have been working on that , having now 8 out of 12 finished and two more half done. 

Hopefully, if everything goes well, I should be able to have the whole lot by the end of next week. 

Some of you suggested to test them with some official MLP character on an average show stage, which was a great suggestion, so here is the result. 


Seems taht Twilight is running a daycare center in the Golden Oak Library.  I added  extra color corrections to most of the foals, The most affected ones by the amends were Windwhisper (light blue pegasus on the top right corner)  and Tingle (Dark unicorn standing by the door).

I found a couple of technical problems that I solved thanks to this integration test, such as nomenclature errors, would have resulted in a very nasty surprise if added to our current shots directly. 

Here you can see an example of  a full build of a foal

 

 Each single foal has a 20 point turn around to cover the 360º rotation.  As part of the challenge, we made our best to make them rotate on the horse center axys (between the four legs) and to have as little snaps as possible. 

This is the reasons for which our builds take a while, it is the control of the 20 points of rotation, which involves a lot of symbol creation, plus, a lot of control tests necessary to ensure good functionality, not to mention the nomemclature surveillance. If one symbol is named the same from foal to foal, we will get  build bug, so you will get, for example, Spirit's legs on Moondancer's body. 

See you on the next update, I have a lot of wonderful stuff ready to share with you which I will try to post during this week. 

:)











13 comments:

  1. MA GNI!!!! Ma che cosa stupenda!!! BRAVI! Anche io voglio imparare *3* Bravissimi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh spirit! Look at that wonderful turn around. This will no doubt add to the fluidity of your overall animation but I am now curious. I believe the actual show has a 6 point turn around. Is this going to make animating the foals more difficult or lionheart o.o?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very relative to what you would call a TA point. But no, the original deal has more than six, but I am not sure that it reaches a full 20, I would have to check Drud's resource kit to be sure.

      Delete
    2. Hmmm, the ones I seem to notice them using most often are the front view, 3Q front view, side view, back view, and back 3 quarters view. I suppose they could also have a few more for special occasions.
      I believe we used a 6 point turn around for Double Rainboom, which would explain why it's so hard for me to fathom a whole 20.
      Both of you have put a wonderful amount of effort into this short. With each post I get more excited to see it.

      Delete
    3. Well, you can have way more TA Points, specially when you have ponies with an armor, like Luna or the guards.

      Like in any animation, it depends of how many in betweens do you wish to include. Our animation is based on slow body turns and twists in many parts, so we needed a lot of intermediate points.

      If you have an assymetric pony like Rarity, or Fluttershy,you are bond to double your TA points, because you will need to depict both sides of him/her.

      Delete
  3. Ooh, yay! I helped!

    Also, for the foal that is playing on Vinyl's turntable, I noticed a bit of a snap in his eyes, around when he is facing mostly right.

    On a side note, I had never noticed the sun on the library ceiling before. Is that there in the show?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the warning, I didn´t noticed.

      But that is not a fatal flw. The turn around doesn´t have to be perfect for a Flash puppet, for what I could see with Trixie and Ftshy (they can be found online) THe original deal snaps more than this. The point is to get an overall good TA, passed that point, is just walking the extra mile.

      Delete
  4. wow o,0 that turn is so fluid and awesome, just wow!!

    after looking at the snowdrop video (which was very good in story and and animation, also, lots of liquid pride were shed :P) i imagine this to be even more awesome in quality, i cant wait to see how this will come out in the end ^^

    cheers guys /)*(\

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Bryan. I only hope we won´t dissapoint the people that are waiting for the release, that the main cloud over my head right now.

      Delete
  5. Do you think we could get a look at Celestia's model? I'd love to see what's going on with that part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Celestia is a BPS, (build per shot) We don´t have a puppet of her... different technique.

      Delete
  6. Cool rotation!!

    I think a lot of the ponies seem to work on the stage, especially the light blue one :)

    ReplyDelete