Friday, February 8, 2013

Comparison

Helloooo Everypony!

Lion here with a little update.

The blog's living again and.. well.. we never did stop living.  STILL, I thought I'd alleviate some possible concerns AND give an inside view once more.

Some of you might remember a post called 'Lipsynching' (http://firstnightmarenight.blogspot.ca/2012/07/lipsynching.html)

After working on 'Bronies' and with great feedback from a senior animator whom I shall not name (But has been a super awesome input with the betterment of my flash animation skills) I realized that: Tweening is evil.

I never really liked it BUT I thought I could tame it.

Fact is: I can't.  I should have listened to everypony including myself but I didnt and now I'm working a bit harder.  Takes a bump on the head to realize it I guess.

Tweening is a support tool.. not so awesome for prodution.

SO, I thought I'd show the difference in the timelines.  Here is a before and after screencaps of what we refer to as 'Shot 02'.




While it looks crazy, (And it is) is also means that Luna has more life to her.  Her movements don't breathe of 'flash' as much as a living entity.. at least it's the feeling I get.  I don't know what came over me to actually accept what I had first done as 'good enough'.  Everything moves now, she's got pacing and her motions are significantly more pushed.  Not just an almost static singing head like before.

In other words, I feel a lot happier about showing this animation now and a lot more confident that it will be worthy of the fandom.

And now I'll keep on trotting and show a comparison of the Gif animation that also is under the LipSynch post when Shot 03 has had its beauty cream applied :)

Be safe!


-Lion

17 comments:

  1. It's good to know that one can actually get rid of "bad" habits ;) The density of timekeys is crazy indeed, I can only imagine the overall result :) It's definitely magic, and it's truly kind of You to share such incredible talents. That's an example many people could follow.

    And by the way, my "BronyDoc" (I somehow like the working title better) is downloading (scrnland), it's just adorable how the filename contains "final", like I used to name my every complete piece of digital art :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. good lord. I had no idea...At least with that many frames in between it should move seemlessly. It's already beautiful and I watch the teaser over and over again :D It really is a beautiful thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With all the news today, I sure hope this project and "Double Rainboom" survive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IIRC, Rainboom got the go ahead from Hasbro before they started, so there shouldn't be any issues on that front. I think the person doing the animation is doing it for a thesis project, and the University wouldn't have allowed it without Hasbro's ok, or something to that effect.

      Delete
    2. If it happens, it happens. It's their loss in the end: Free publicity is free.

      We'll not make any attempt to cause trouble nor to avoid it.

      We'll take whatever comes as it comes, really. I'll work on this as much as I'm able towards the completion.

      But we're not making an episode nor are we really using any of the mane 6 so...

      Delete
  4. oooh, i'd be really interested is seeing that gif from before done with your new skills.

    still so excited for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am afraid that won´t be reasonable. Because we would be giving away too much of the movie already.

      But as the animation support, I have been reviewing the changes, and they are worth it. Luna breathes a lot more now and it is way more believable.

      -Spirit

      Delete
    2. Doing that Gif again should not be a problem as it is very short. I think she misread somewhere and forgot that it is barely a few seconds long.

      But we'll talk about it and no doubt you'll all know by next post ^^

      Delete
  5. I'm glad to hear the project is shaping up to a whole level of quality. :) We all appreciate your efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ¿Este si va a ser una película?, ¿si es un proyecto concreto?, o solo se va a quedar en será y nunca fue, y quedar a medias como Fighting is Magic?
    ¿Cuando se tiene una fecha de lanzamiento o de estreno?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Esto es un proyecto personal, con fines de portafolio artístico. No es una película, es un corto. Intetaremos terminarlo antes de Bronycon, y mencionar lo de Fighting is Magic es un detalle de escasa delicadeza, querido, ya que ese proyecto fue paralizado por una carta de cese oficial.

      Somos sólo dos personas para hacer un proyecto muy ambicioso y encima , Richard, mi marido, estuvo trabajando en el documental cuatro meses.

      Delete
  7. i just waiting this animation
    i know it will be great work :3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lion don't beat your head too much because everypony here don't want to see ya hurt =3
    wracking your lil ponybrain is one thing but not beating it wont do you no good =/
    Can't want to see more info on the progression and I bet there is a way to tame that evil lil tweening tool. Think you have to be like fluttershy befriending discord ^_^ ehehe

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tweening reliance always stands out to me like a sore thumb, and I'm not even an animator. When I saw signs of it in the teaser you guys released I was a little disappointed, as it looked rather fanimation-ey which wasn't what I expected after that amazing animatic.

    I'm really delighted to know you guys are working to fix it though. Shows the commitment to quality you guys have. Please take as long as you need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn´t realize that in the begining. We both come from a very precise use of Flash (videogame development. While tweening and optimization is the mana of that field, it is seen as the plague in TV productions. Once we got that information, we started fixing it, shot by shot.

      Delete
  11. I'd still like to see a break down of those head movements

    ReplyDelete