Monday, July 16, 2012

Come little Children, the song

Hello everypony!

Today's post is all about the song. 


THe song that we are using in this animation is sung by Kate Covington. Who granted us permission to use her work in our video. 

It comes originally from the movie Hocus Pocus, and the melody was composed by the incredible James Horner (Spirit's favorite composer, since he did the OST of Casper). 


There is a debate about the song's lyrics. Some say that they  come from Mr. Edgar Alan Poe and others than they  were written by  John Debney for the movie Hocus Pocus. 

Kate did the arrangements for this song and recreated the soundscore in her home studio, you can download the MP3 here:



and see the original version by Kate here





COME LITTLE CHILDREN

By Edgar Alan Poe


Come Little Children
I'll Take Thee Away, Into A Land
Of Enchantment

Come Little Children
The Time's Come To Play
Here In My Garden
Of Magic

Follow Sweet Children
I'll Show Thee The Way
Through All The Pain And
The Sorrows

Weep Not Poor Children
For Life Is This Way
Murdering Beauty And
Passions

Hush Now Dear Children
It Must Be This Way
To Weary Of Life And
Deceptions

Rest Now My Children
For Soon We'll Away
into The Calm And
The Quiet

Come Little Children
I'll Take Thee Away, Into A Land
Of Enchantment

Come Little Children
The Time's Come To Play
Here In My Garden
Of Shadows

17 comments:

  1. Ooooh, Thank you kindly!

    I was listening for one downloaded from youtube for quite a while now.
    Learned some lyrics whole listening already xD

    Hocus Pocus movie is creepy I should say.
    p.s. I'm even listening it right now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do the lyrics really come from Mr. Poe? If so, it goes a long way to explain why they're so unnerving whenever I actually think of them. They contrast both subtly and harshly against the melody... (Lullaby tune with depressive/fatalist lyrics.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think back on those nursery rhymes you might have sang as a kid. A lot of them are a lot darker then you picked up on when you were younger.

      Delete
    2. Yup it us darker like ring around a rosie its about ppl dying of a disease and the burn them ._. Scary

      Delete
  3. There's actually quite a debate about if it came from Poe or not. Some big fans of Poe say that it's not Poe due to the whole style isn't exactly Poe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting. Now that I think about it, it sounds like children being drawn to the afterlife at the time of death. Very haunting. Well, whether it came from Mr. Poe or not, it's still brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love this song don't get me wrong, but i have an omnibus of his works and it is not in here... i looked rigorously. the book i have is written chronologically, does anyone know WHEN he wrote it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually, this is written by a man named Brock Walsh, who wrote most of the incantations in "Hocus Pocus" and was also credited with "Sarah's Song" in the end credits and in the 'The Disney Song Encylcopedia'

    http://books.google.com/books?id=3mxHH9bKbPEC&lpg=PR1&pg=PA170#v=onepage&q&f=false

    ReplyDelete
  7. Which? Don't you mean Who? Kate Covington isn't a thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My excuses. English is not our mother language and although we try to avoid grammatical errors,we make this kind of mistakes from time to time.

      Delete
    2. I'm sorry if I came off as sounding too mean, that wasn't my intention. I was using the snarkiness I usually use when playfully pointing out other people's spelling or grammar mistakes, and I wasn't aware that English isn't your first language.

      I eagerly await the completion of this short film! /)

      Delete
  8. I love this long so much. It wasnt written by Poe though, it was written for Hocus Pocus. Its just not Poe's flow or form, though it sounds like something he would come up with :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here's the most recent article about the original author. Interesting, but still inconclusive...

    http://www.dmelhoff.com/who-wrote-come-little-children

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am looking for piano sheet music, simplified version if possible

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made my own version, but I didn't know the lyrics came from Edgard Allan Poe and I've still haven't found that extended poem, I told the composer of the OST about my little tribute, but I'm glad to see other covers around too. Here's a link to my version (I played dulcimer and sung) and my band played cello and violin http://priscillahernandez.com/forums/english/covers/come-little-children-hocus-pocus-ost-orig-john-debney-cover-hammered-dulcimer-

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is very interesting.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete