Sunday, July 8, 2012

The Golden Crop

Gidday Everypony!

Lionheart here with a little update :)

With another background done I thought I'd show a little bit more of what goes into a shot.  Of course, there's the rough draft that we made for our animatic purposes which was far from complete (There's even an 'oops' written there).

Normally there is more detail in there but as we are a small team and we didnt have any real designs ready, we went on with this, again, only for timing.  But with the shot having found a purpose and working well in the previewed animatic, it was time to take it to the next level.

Here I went nuts with lines.. or GRID lines, for the perspective.  Indoor planning of a shot is, I found, a bit more challenging as there are less ways to cheat your way out of making something work.  Probably due to all the furniture.  But that allows me to lay down the guides, including dummy ponies for size, making sure I stay consistent.

Another thing I do is I pull out what's called the 'Golden Crop'.  These are composition guidelines that are used by many top artists to create balance and focal points in a composition.  This one being an interior establishing shot, I thought I'd put in something a lot more academic to help with the final composition as well as to determine the main diagonal.

As you can see with the lineart layout, I used a rug to break the straight lines and used the main red diagonal as my main line of strength.  All of that still stuck to the grid I layed down earlier.  I could have utterly cheated and built with boxes and planes in a 3D program but I felt I was cheating myself and the spirit of the show by doing so.  Still, with that lineart well established and defined, I then pass the PSD file to spirit for the final paint render.

That wonderful scene will have a few more alterations in after effects as well as have a few foals visible along with some of those that will wake up.

Just goes to show that sometimes, there is a lot more in a shot than what meets the eye.  If the audience does not feel something is wrong or notices the guides at first glance, then we did a good job :)

Thanks for watchin'  we're still truckin'!

-Lion out.

8 comments:

  1. Perspective grid is something I'm tempted to learn by myself even though I don't do art at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to expand the image way beyond what it was to put the vanishing points.. but in the end, I beleive it was worth it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWWWW!! Gari, Spirit, and Maggie's room! I'm glad you posted this! Really a fascinating process!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! ^_^
    I really like the pictures on the wall above the beds.
    I know one of the pictures is of Discord, but what are the other ones of?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there.
    I'm getting more and more interested on these guides, but I have a few questions.

    Were those guides just a picture you had with you and put in Photoshop over the picture, or is it all a kind of plugin like this one (http://goldencrop.sourceforge.net/)? If not the exact same one.

    I see how the straight lines helped the picture getting more interesting, but what was the curl's exact part in all of it?

    Thanks if you answer.
    I wish you the best for this and every future project. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very difficult to explain in a comment. You should google for "the golden section" and Fibonacci´s Spiral to understand this principle and how to use it . (it is the most complex idea of all the composition rules I know).

      Delete